Thursday, July 16, 2015

Origami as a Spiritual Practice…life-long learning and sharing and…ah…a Maslow Peak Moment


Origami is the Japanese art of paper folding which can become an encouragement to prayer and meditation. As we learn to fold a paper crane or other origami form and fold them over and over, our fingers are occupied without needing to think about the folding. Our mind is freed for prayer or meditation.

In my work as an expressive arts facilitator in end-of-life care in hospice, I folded cranes prayerfully for patients and families. I taught them to fold cranes, too, encouraging them to think of a word or scripture or blessing we could write on the wing of a crane. We hung them with wire and beads, perhaps, on a fan pull in a hospice room or a bulletin board in a patient room in long-term care.

One grandmother who I visited in her home set the goal to fold one for each of her grandchildren before she died, a task she happily completed. One daughter asked me to write the word “patience” on a crane for her as she tended her mother. When I needed to cope with my own grief at the loss of a patient, I would fold a crane mindfully to honor the transition, and hang it from my car rearview mirror until the Florida sun faded it, helping me to honor this person and the sacred nature of the work.

Life-long Learning

Folding an origami crane was something I had tried for years to accomplish using Japanese books with pictures. Finally I found online written instructions that accompanied pictures and was able to master this seemingly daunting task. Now there are YouTube videos to smooth the path.

As our comfort with online learning increases, it seems the possibilities for life-long learning are legion. Dipping our toe in that water, having a savvy friend on call or the nerve to ask questions over and over of any online or real person source who might help is key…OK and persistence and the spiritual challenge of dealing with frustration.

Sharing our Gifts

Today I prepare to teach women in a Catholic church to fold origami hearts as a prayer practice, perhaps with healing intention, perhaps as a gift to demonstrate that someone is cared for, prayed for, and well loved.  I found several articles on origami and spirituality/prayer. I read about knitting as a spiritual practice knowing that process works in a similar way.  We can write a prayer or a blessing inside the paper, on the heart, or simply pray as we fold.

And THEN there is Pinterest and I am off clicking and emailing links for future reference…and I feel it in my chest…a Maslow Peak Moment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_experience  (Yes, I know Wikipedia is not an academic source but can still serve us with discernment.

I find a wreath made of origami cranes I know I need to try and a crane mobile that might work with some dye-cut spiral paper I found.

Ebbs and Flows…and maybe fewer Peak Moments

And, for me, a fear of not having those grand rushes of excitement about learning or doing something new is one of my concerns about the Elder years. I realize I love to teach and need to honor that longing and do what it takes to keep on doing that in whatever form presents itself, despite that, “When-are-you-ever-going-to-retire” conversation that springs up occasionally.  I am still claiming the notion of “refirement” rather than “retirement.”  My prayer is for God to continue to offer me paths to share my gifts and at a pace that can be joyful.

Do you have something to look forward to?

Do you have an interest that needs to be explored? If you do not and feel like a person who “used to be someone,” then I encourage you to explore the process of Sage-ing. The tools for re-contextualizing your life to harvest its meaning and wisdom can support your path to living more joyfully in the present moment even if that moment looks a bit different that it did in your 40’s.



More

No comments:

Post a Comment